What Is Mould?

Mould, is a type of fungus that grows in multicellular filaments called hyphae. Mold can grow on a variety of surfaces such as food, walls, and floors, wardrobes, ceiling spaces, and under floors – especially in areas with high humidity or moisture. It reproduces through the production of spores, which can be spread through the air and can cause health problems for people who are allergic or hypersensitive to these spores. In addition to being unsightly, mold can also cause structural damage to buildings if left unaddressed. Mould can be prevented by controlling moisture levels and humidity, fixing leaks, and using proper ventilation.


Understanding Mould?

Microscope mould

Moulds are a type of fungus that grow in damp, dark places. They can be found both indoors and outdoors and are often seen in areas with high humidity or moisture.

Moulds reproduce by releasing microscopic spores into the air, which can then travel and settle on surfaces. When the conditions are right (such as in a damp or humid environment), the spores can start to grow and form visible mould.
Moulds can have a variety of colors, including black, white, green, and gray. They can grow on a variety of surfaces, including walls, ceilings, floors, fabrics, and paper products.

Why And Where Does It Grow?

Mould can grow in areas that are damp, warm, and humid. It can appear on walls, ceilings, carpets, furniture, and even food. Some common reasons for mould growth include high levels of humidity, leaking pipes and roofs, poor ventilation, and floods. Mould spores can spread quickly and grow into colonies if left unchecked. It is important to address any moisture issues as soon as possible to prevent mould from growing. Mould can not only damage buildings and furnishings but can also cause health problems for people who are sensitive to it. If you suspect mould growth in your home or workplace, it is recommended that you seek professional assistance to remove it safely and effectively.

mould bathroom

Why DIY Mould Removal Doesn't Work

While DIY mould removal techniques may be effective in some cases, they are not always the best solution for mould removal. There are a few reasons why DIY mould removal may not work:

1. Incomplete removal: Often, DIY mould removal only removes surface-level mould and may not completely remove all the mould from the affected area, or the mould spores that have spread throughout the property which can lead to the mold returning.
2. Safety risks: Mould can be dangerous to work with, especially if you are not familiar with the proper safety precautions. DIY mould removal may put you at risk for exposure to mould spores, which can lead to respiratory problems, allergic reactions, and other health issues.
3. Lack of proper equipment: Removing mould requires proper equipment such as respirators, gloves, and protective clothing to prevent exposure to mould spores. DIY mould removal may not include the use of such equipment, leading to health risks.

It is best to consult with a professional mold remediation companyvfor effective and safe removal of mold from your home or property.

How Mould Effects Us

Exposure to mould can cause a variety of health effects in humans, including:

1. Allergic reactions: Some people are allergic to mould and can experience symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rashes.

2. Respiratory problems: Mould can irritate the respiratory system, causing coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. People with asthma or other respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive to mould exposure.
3. Infections: Certain types of mould can cause infections, most commonly in people with weak immune systems.
4. Toxic effects: Some mould produce mycotoxins, which are toxic substances harmful to humans and animals.


Is Mould Dangersous?

Mould can be dangerous, especially for people with allergies or respiratory problems. Exposure to mould can cause symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. In some cases, mould can even cause more severe health problems, such as infections and allergic reactions. 

If you suspect that you have a mould problem in your home, it’s important to address it as soon as possible to minimize your risk of health problems.

blue mould